At long last, HBO's critically acclaimed drama True Detective returned with its fourth season, titled Night Country, on Jan. 14, introducing us to a new, gripping mystery. The new season takes place in the fictional town of Ennis, Alaska when a group of researchers go missing. It's up to Chief Liz Danvers (Jodie Foster) to find out where the men went and what happened, and as similarities to a previous murder are uncovered, a former detective named Evangeline Navarro (Kali Reis) wants in. The series premiere already has viewers hooked, wanting to figure out all of the unanswered questions.
Well, I'm sure we won't find out all the answers in the second episode, but hopefully, a few things will become clearer. The second episode is simply titled "Part 2," and the official synopsis reads:
"As Danvers and Prior set out to learn more about Tsalal – and find an unlikely location for the physical evidence – Captain Connelly threatens to move the case to Anchorage. Later, Navarro and Danvers separately find a connection between one of the Tsalal men and Annie, prompting the former partners to agree to work the case together."- Episode 2 synopsis
True Detective: Night Country episode 2 release date and time
Counting down the hours until you can watch episode 2? We don't blame you! Let's get into how and when you can jump in. True Detective is an HBO Original, meaning there are only two places you can watch the new episode tonight, Jan. 21, 2024. You can either watch the episode on the channel HBO at 9:00 p.m. ET this evening or use HBO's streaming service, Max. The episode will be added to the platform at 9:00 p.m. ET as it airs live. If you're streaming, you can press play on the new episode at any time starting at 9:00 p.m. ET.
And if you're watching episode 2 on the channel HBO, you do have a few more opportunities to check it out after its premiere at 9:00 p.m. ET. According to HBO's schedule, there will be an encore showing of the new episode at 10:05 p.m. ET. Another showing will air on HBO at 11:10 p.m. ET, with one more at 12:15 am ET early Monday morning.
Episode 2 release time by time zones
Not on the East Coast of the United States and unsure when the new episode of True Detective will drop for you? We've listed out the release time by major time zones for episode 2 below so you don't miss a second of the mystery:
- Pacific Time Zone: 6:00 p.m. PT on Sunday, Jan. 14
- Central Time Zone: 8:00 p.m. CT on Sunday, Jan. 14
- Eastern Time Zone: 9:00 p.m. ET on Sunday, Jan. 14
- Atlantic Standard Time: 10:00 p.m. GMT-4 on Sunday, Jan. 14
- Brasilia Standard Time: 11:00 p.m. GMT-3 on Sunday, Jan. 14
- Argentina Standard Time: 11:00 p.m. GMT-3 on Sunday, Jan. 14
- Central European Standard Time: 3:00 a.m. GMT+1 on Monday, Jan. 15
At this time, HBO's streaming service Max is not available in all regions, unfortunately. To double-check if you can access the platform, keep up with the network's handy guide here for locations.
Sign up for Max here
Were you late to True Detective: Night Country and want to start streaming now? At the moment, there's only one episode out, so it'll be easy to catch up! Here is all of the information on how to sign up for Max if you aren't currently subscribed:
- Go to Max.com and select "SIGN UP NOW"
- Choose from these options: With Ads ($9.99 a month), Ad-Free ($15.99 a month), or Ultimate Add-Free ($19.99 a month). There's also a yearly subscription which saves 20%.
- Create your account
- Add your credit card information
- Start watching True Detective: Night Country!
If you're still not sold on Max and want to take a closer look at their plans, check out the breakdown here:
$9.99 a month or $99.99 a year
$15.99 a month or $149.99 a year
$19.99 a month or $199.99 a year
Stream on 2 devices at once, full HD video resolution
Stream on 2 devices at once, full HD video resolution, 30 downloads to watch on the go
Stream on 4 devices at once, 4K Ultra HD video quality as available, Dolby Atmos immersive audio as available, 100 downloads to watch on the go
Biggest questions for True Detective: Night Country episode 2
While we wait for the second episode of True Detective: Night Country to premiere, check out the promo teaser:
Okay, woah! There's a lot going on in this promo, and naturally, we have so many questions. Here are my biggest ones based on the teaser heading into the second episode:
- What is the symbol on one of the frozen researcher's heads? Clearly it matters because it was also on Annie's body
- Did someone actually kill the men or did they freeze to death?
- Is Navarro's sister being followed by an evil spirit of sorts?
- What did Navarro see out on the ice?
- Are Danvers and Navarro finally going to see eye-to-eye enough to solve the case?
Just like the premiere, I'm sure the second episode will end posing more questions than answers, but that's alright! I can't wait to see what mystery they continue to unravel in Night Country. New episodes premiere every Sunday night on HBO and Max, with the finale scheduled for Feb. 25, 2024.